FlightLine P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - PNP - OPEN BOX
Open Box Details:
- Missing Parts: Missing the right wing including the electronics. (FLW301104)
- Damage/Defects: Center wing section has a broken tab. Dents, dings, and indentations to several areas of the entire model. Loose blue box.
- Builder Notes: Broken tab can be fixed with epoxy. All issues are simple cosmetic fixes and will not affect flight performance.
Please Note: Because of their deeply discounted prices, Open Box merchandise does not include the standard Motion RC warranty and cannot be returned or exchanged even if additional product issues are found. Please consider these restrictions before purchasing Open Box products.
The legendary P-38 “Lightning” revolutionized aviation history in World War II. Designed by a skilled team of engineers led by Clarence Johnson and Hal Hibbard, the P-38 was the only American fighter that was continually produced from before Pearl Harbor in 1941 to after the Japanese surrender in 1945. Over 9,900 P-38s were built, 3,810 of which were the superior P-38L variant. Revered by its foes as the “fork tailed devil”, the P-38 excelled as a fighter, interceptor, reconnaissance platform, long range escort, and as a ground attack aircraft. The aircraft also famously shot down Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto’s aircraft during “Operation Vengeance” on April 18, 1943.
FlightLine’s P-38 represents the pinnacle of engineering for a foam electric P-38. It is the largest mass-produced foam electric P-38 in the world, with a high level of quality and scale fidelity. We know our customers have been waiting for a large P-38 with good size, clean wiring, and scale lines. The wait is over, it’s here!
The Flightline P-38 was designed for easy operation. Its outer wings disassemble with four screws for convenient transportation and allowing the aircraft to sit on all three wheels without the outer wings attached. FlightLine’s P-38 Lightning features durable electronic retractable landing gear, five sequenced servo driven landing gear doors, day-bright LEDs, machine gun details, plastic nose cone and cowls, four flaps, accurate canopy and nacelle shape, and many other scale details. Each rudder is directly controlled by its own servo. The cockpit layout accommodates a wide range of 4S 14.8v Li-Po batteries with ample space for electronics. To ensure a high degree of structural rigidity, the entire model was designed around a special framework of carbon rods and reinforcement points. This framework strengthens the aircraft during high speed maneuvers, while still providing a gentle and forgiving flying behavior.
The stock PNP version is equipped with two 3748 brushless outrunner motors and two 12x7 3-blade counter-rotating propellers for the perfect scale appearance. With the recommended 4S 14.8v 5000mAh (one battery per side or a single battery with your series adapter), the P-38 boasts sufficient power for large consecutive loops and a level top speed of 81mph. An optional “Upgrade Kit” can be purchased separately to obtain a level top speed of 94mph; click the Upgrades tab above.
The “Pacific Silver” scheme includes four decal sets from the 431st Squadron led by Medal of Honor recipient Thomas McGuire. Choose which decal set you want to apply to make your P-38 unique among your friends! The decals are "peel and stick", made with a very thin adhesive vinyl which is easy to apply and does not require water.
Visit the Official FlightLine P-38 Discussion Thread on HobbySquawk.com for additional photos, videos, reviews, and customer Q&A.
- Model officially licensed by Lockheed Martin
- Scale profile, accurate wing diherdral, and precisely modeled overall aircraft proportions
- Removable outer wings for easy transport
- Scale three blade propeller achieves 81 mph and vertical climbing capability
- Four different decal sets included inside the box for you to choose from
- Day-bright LEDs
- Large cabin space for easy placement of the battery and radio equipment
- Improved spinner and propeller mounting design to enable better balance
- Durable Electric retractable landing gear with metal trunions and 4mm steel wire struts
- Sequenced plastic gear doors for realistic operation
- Tall foam rubber wheels for optimal handling on paved surfaces and short, evenly cut grass fields
- FlightLine P-38L Lightning "Pacific Silver" 1600mm (63") Wingspan - (PNP)
- Motor, ESC, servos and retracts pre-installed
- 6 Channel Radio - Select a minimum 6 channel radio from our Radio Collection
- 6 Channel Receiver - Select a minimum 6 channel receiver from our Receiver Collection
- Two 4 Cell 14.8V 2500mAh to 3000mAh LiPo batteries with XT60 Connector – We recommend 2 of the Admiral 4 Cell 14.8V 2500mAh Pro LiPo batteries
- OR One Admiral 4 Cell 14.8v 5000mAh battery with XT60 connector (NOTE: will require an EC5-to-two-XT60-connector adapter)
- 4 Cell Compatible Battery Charger - Select a minimum 4 cell (4S) charger from our Charger Collection
- An optional “High Power Upgrade Set” can be purchased separately to obtain speeds of 94mph+. The Upgrade Set includes two 3648 motors, two 12x8 2-blade counter-rotating propellers, and two 2-blade spinners. Click the Upgrades Tab above for more details.
1600mm / 63in
1168mm / 46in
Weight (w/o battery)
3150g / 111oz
|CG (Center of Gravity)||65-70mm from the leading edge of the wing at the root|
3748-600Kv Brushless Outrunner Motor (Stock scale power system)
Electronic Speed Control
60A Brushless with T connector
Propeller / EDF
12x7 3 Blade Propeller / 12x8 2 Blade Propeller High Performance Version (optional)
9g standard with 300mm lead: nose gear door
|Landing Gear||Electric retracts with metal trunions|
Two 4 Cell 14.8v 2500mAh to 3000mAh batteries with T-connector, or One 4 Cell 14.8v 5000mAh battery with EC5 connector (will require an EC5-to-two-T-connector adapter)
6+ Channel 2.4GHz
|Build Time||3-4 Hours|
|Recommended Environment||Outdoor, minimum 200 foot runway, pavement recommended, less than 1" tall smooth grass|